The holiday season is here, and your guests are close behind! In all the excitement, did you remember to spruce up your guests’ bathroom? Precision Glass is kicking off this gift-giving season with some special tips just for you, to help make your bathroom shine. Read on for our tricks to a sparkling shower, even during the busiest times of the year.
1. Soap Scum & Hard Water – The culprits behind hours of scrubbing and harsh chemicals, soap scum and hard water, plague most bathrooms. However, there’s a simple answer to these cleaning nightmares: a dry towel. By grabbing an extra towel to dry your shower surfaces after use, you can seriously reduce the buildup of soap scum and hard water, as well as other bathroom pests like mold and mildew.
2. Tracking – The tracks and equipment that hold the shower door in place are often forgotten when we clean. Take the extra time to clean out the tracks around your shower door next time you clean your bathroom. With a little extra cleaner and a toothbrush, a few extra minutes of work can make a big difference.
3. Keep It Moving – After using or cleaning the shower, leave the shower door open just a few inches. By allowing airflow inside the shower, the walls dry faster and are less likely to become home to mold and mildew.
4. Repel – There are many kinds of repellents you can use on your shower doors that will cause water to bead up and drip away. Apply your favorite brand after you finish cleaning your shower door to cut down on water spots and soap scum for next time!
5. Soak It – Grab a plastic bag large enough to fit around your shower head and fill it with enough vinegar to soak the full shower head. Tape the corners up to keep the vinegar in the middle of the space and use a rubber band to secure the bag around the shower head. Leave it to sit for a couple of hours, then take the bag off, scrub the shower head with a toothbrush to clean off any leftover deposits, then run water through to get rid of any lingering vinegar.
6. Heat It Up – Cover the bottom of the bathtub or shower with the hottest water you can get out of your faucet. The extra heat makes all purpose type cleaners more effective, which means less scrubbing for you. Grab a cup and throw some of that hot water on the rest of the tub or walls.
7. Let It Sit – The kinds of cleaners used in bathrooms need time to work. After you spray on your cleaner, work on another area, like cleaning your mirror, for 5 minutes or so.
8. Rinse – After you’ve scrubbed the shower down, make certain to rinse everything off. If a cleaner is left to dry on your shower walls, it will continue working to attract dirt, and it will be difficult to remove next time you clean!
Other Bathroom Tips
9. Hair & Dust – Small details like hair on the floor make a huge impact for guests. Dust the light fixtures and any shelves in your bathroom, then finish by sweeping or vacuuming.
10. Towels – Make sure your guests know where they can find towels and other toiletry items, and tell them about any quirks your shower may have. Before company arrives, take a moment to refold or neatly hang up towels that have already dried from the last use.
11. Bath Mat – Many bath mats and rugs can be washed in your washing machine, then laid out to dry. Run yours through the wash early so it’ll be dry and fresh by the time company arrives.
12. Stock Up – Make sure your bathroom is well stocked with towels, toilet paper, and soap. Keeping a few extras around can help you and your guest avoid some awkward encounters.
Follow these tips to spruce up your bathroom just in time for company! For more tips about shower doors, check out our glass door tips. If you’re interested in custom shower doors, or a free in-home consultation, call Precision Glass at 816-781-0087.